Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Mae Olivia Lucas

Our beautiful baby girl, Mae Olivia Lucas, was born on July 25, 2019. I'll paint the full picture of the days and weeks before and after Mae's birth because it was a crazy time in our lives. Probably the craziest time ever for us. A few months after finding out that we were expecting Mae, we had made the decision that we wanted to move back to Arizona. With Madeline starting Kindergarten in the fall and me going on maternity leave, moving shortly after I had Mae seemed like a good decision. We didn't want to do it before she was born because our jobs required us to be in Austin. My company agreed to let me come back from maternity leave to a job in Arizona and we were taking a leap of faith that George's job would work out when the time came...it did. Mae was due on July 25 and Kindergarten started for Madeline in Arizona on August 1. We weighed many different options, including starting Madeline in Kindergarten in Austin and moving in October or November, but ultimately decided to get back to Arizona in time for school to start. That meant we would be moving with a couple day old baby if Mae came on her due date. Now I'll cut to Mae's birth story and jump back to the move later. 

My parents came into town on July 18, a week before my due date. (Side note: that means there were 6 of us in a fully packed up 1000 square foot apartment!) The week leading up to my due date, I was having a lot of on and off contractions. There was even one night when they were close enough that we were about to leave for the hospital. However, in the end, nothing ever developed enough for it to be the "real deal" so it was looking more and more like I would get induced on my due date. Getting induced was not my preference, but we really had no choice given that we had movers coming on July 27 (2 days after my due date if you lost track). So the morning of July 25, George, my mom, and I got up early and checked in at St. David's Hospital in downtown Austin (right next to the UT campus) at 6:30AM. My dad stayed back at the apartment with Madeline and Luke. 








No comments:

Post a Comment