Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Weekend and a Recipe

I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend! I know that I really enjoyed having some of my family (Hannah and my parents) in town…and the extra day off wasn’t too bad either! George had to work on Friday and Saturday so he didn’t get to hang out too much. The rest of us made it down to Huntington Beach for some rollerblading/bike riding (FUN!) and also did a little bit of shopping and quite a bit of relaxing. Having family in town gave me the opportunity to try out a few new recipes – Turkey Chili, Potato Skins, and Lemon Chicken (although I didn’t make that one until after they left). I’m happy to say that all of them were a success.


I thought I would share the Lemon Chicken recipe because it was very tasty! I got this recipe from allrecipes.com and made just a couple minor adjustments.


Ingredients:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved

5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

3/4 teaspoon salt, divided

1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided

2 eggs

2 tablespoons butter, divided

1 tablespoon olive oil

3/4 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup apple juice **I did ¼ cup apple juice, ¼ cup white wine instead

1 tablespoon lemon juice **I squeezed an entire lemon (ended up being somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 cup)

1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley


Directions:

Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Dip chicken into eggs; coat with flour mixture.

In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter and oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining flour, salt and pepper; stir in broth until smooth. Add apple juice to the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits. Stir broth mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.

Stir in lemon juice; cook for 1 minute. Add parsley and remaining butter; cook and stir until butter is melted. Serve over chicken.


I served the chicken over bowtie pasta (if you are looking for a healthier option, I think brown rice would be tasty too). Also, I think you could cut the extra butter at the end! Check out the final product below!!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for having us this weekend. We had lots of fun. See you in a few weeks.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can cook for me anytime! Had fun and enjoyed wheeling along the boardwalk with my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! I am going to try this one. Thanks for the photo too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! I am going to have to add this to my list of dishes to try! I am glad you had a good visit with your parents and Hannah!

    ReplyDelete